Search This Blog

Pages

Friday, May 21, 2010

Free Times Cafe

It would only be fitting that my first music blog be about an open mic Downtown Toronto this week.  I am Canadian, but my "music career" (if I could call it that, at this point), began in VA this past December.  Living and working in VA for the bulk of the past 13 years, my debut defaulted to that locale.  Yet, Canada is the place I call "home," so finding myself on the stage of Free Times Cafe on College St carried a similar feeling.
 Not knowing a single place in the room, when I arrived I took a seat in the back corner. It was 7ish when the host arrived and announced sign up would begin but then abruptly stopped himself and said, "Any new comers tonight?"  All eyes turned to the corner I where I sat.  "Oh, um, that would be me" and I began to make my way forward as he said I could sign up first.  The only familiar face I was hoping for - Sarah - hadn't arrived, and I tried to do some quick math determining when to play so Sarah had enough time to get there, but we wouldn't be there all night (I still had an hour drive back to the 'rents).

I settled on 8:15 and then settled back into my seat.  Not long after, Sarah came in with flowers she'd bought to celebrate my first show in Canada!  I hadn't seen her since Christmas so we immediately fall into "catch-up" mode only to receive dirty glances from other audience members as the musicians had started playing.  Apparently...this was a listening audience, and not going to be the place where Sarah and I could fill in the past five months.  It would have to wait.


Guitar tuned, strap hooked, and vocal chords warmed, I was ready to take the stand after the host announced me.  Cracking a joke no one seemed to get, I picked the notes to my first song and quickly sound checked.  The next two songs were a blur, and when I sat down it seemed to quick.  Maybe because I was used to doing an hour long show and two songs didn't seem like much...reveling in the whole experience with Sarah, the host made his way to the back and asked me when I'd be in town next.  Turns out, I fit the bill for "best of open mic" and he wanted to offer me a 30 minute slot next time I was in town.

A few musician business cards later, a meet and greet with the owner Judy, and a fantastic first show in Toronto, Sarah and I walked out to College Street and headed to my car.

I have no clue where this musical journey is going to take me, but I DO know this - Toronto has a fantastic music scene and it was a welcome change to play for a "listening" audience!  Can't wait to see you all at Free Times Cafe again in August!!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations - sounds like a near perfect first outing in O Canada.
    Now we have to find a "listening crowd" place in VA - because I love to listen to you!

    C

    ReplyDelete